Friday, June 22, 2012

The things we do for love or fish poop and bio balls

Larry loved his stuff, his property, his land, and I am trying to maintain it.  I feel extremely proud each time I figure out how something works or fix something. I fixed a crack on a fiberglass shower stall!  I turned off our  I have a weekly to do list every day to maintain the interior and exterior of the house.  As a result, I am a bit sore all the time and have lots of poison ivy scars.  Thursday is pond day.  He had these fish that he spoke to as if they were dogs when we were dating and living in PA.  It was then that I realized he needed a furrier pet than a fish.  And so, for the moment, I cannot get rid of the fish he kept in a lovely rectangular shaped pond in our back yard.  Pond day involved getting pretty dirty cleaning four filters filled with slimy green fish poop, hosing them down for about 10 minutes, then attempting to fit the filters back on while digging my hands down into the green fish poop water to have a certain amount of bio balls (they eat the bacteria) strategically placed on the bottom so that everything fits back the way it should.

If that is successful, I then have a rubber ring that needs to be in the right place to get the metal containing strip to fit around the outside.  Often this takes numerous tries and possibly opening everything back up, dipping my hand back into fish poop water to reposition bio balls.  Sitting on the filter sometimes helps and the clasp that holds it all shut is not for the weak.

Someday perhaps I will be ready to fill in the fishpond with dirt since the whole fishpond cleaning takes about 45 minutes per week, but for now, I am only willing to part with the 15 or so baby comets that were born last summer.  Takers?


1 comment: