Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Strange Juxtaposition

While the world is busy forgetting about Larry, nine months later I am still inundated with daily reminders.  I went to a financial place to transfer Larry's retirement funds to my name.  The woman at the desk was young and seemingly unmarried.  As I have gotten used to, she did not say, "I'm sorry for your loss." but simply went about her business.  While closing accounts, and transferring funds, nobody asks about Larry, a man who had a fairly big career here in Princeton and an even bigger personality.  To the people that I now interact with, he is just a deceased person.  Amongst most people that knew him, they do not mention him for fear of upsetting me.  I do not hear from his friends or people who might still hold him dear in their hearts as I still do.

My daily life is filled with constant reminders, however.  I was filing at work and came across a class roster for a class I was supposed to teach.  The date read March 14.  Was I really teaching 6 weeks before Larry died, I asked myself.  Yesterday, I was in a newsletter program and there is still a little blurb with his picture that says he is unsubscribed (by me) that catches me by surprise from time to time.  Today, I saw that he was invited to a friends' play because I have not dismantled his Facebook page. I have not dismantled it because I still can't bear to have no trace of him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment