Friday, August 9, 2013

Hitting the Lottery

It is almost midnight and I am making potato salad for a small party.  Normally, it would totally annoy me that I need to complete tasks this late in the day but I had my first fantastic day post fire.  I have been taking a bunch of risks with people and things and I hit the lottery today.

I have been slightly lonely at my new home in Bordentown so I stuck a letter in neighbor's mailbox inviting her over.  She came over tonight and it was a home run visit.  Then, I stuck another letter in my next door neighbor's mailbox explaining why my dog is running around the yard when I'm not home (because I'm working long hours and I can't find a dog walker yet) and asked if he had a power drill.  The power drill arrived tonight and both neighbors are going to take turns walking Oakley while I am in France (soon) at no charge (are you jealous yet?) and they put me in touch with someone who knows a dogwalker in Bordentown.

While sipping really good wine, the neighbor who saved me from slight loneliness told me she has had the best times of her life while living in this neighborhood.  We have already shared an incident on the street which has us all bonding and laughing about it weeks after it happened.

I am also apparently a man magnet these days.  Here's my recipe...let your hair go grey, gain a lot of weight, wear hand me down clothes donated post fire, talk about your dead husband.  Oh, don't forget to have not one but two tragedies to be sure you've got a lot of emotional baggage.  Be dissatisfied with at least one major part of your life.  Yep, that's the recipe.  I've done everything wrong.  I must have one heck of a personality.  Many of my stories about romance are very funny, one involves a man confessing that he's a sex and love addict and inviting me to visit his homeland of Columbia in the next breath.  (I have a witness)   Another involves a man trapped in a jail cell at my workplace.  (Again, I have a witness).

 Suddenly, life is light and fun sometimes and recovery seems possible.  I deserve this.

No comments:

Post a Comment